Saturday, May 9, 2009

Square Foot Garden

This post is dedicated to my incredible husband. He is amazing! It turned to be a lot more time consuming than previously anticipated. He's a champ for hanging in there!

The last three Saturdays have been dedicated to doing a square foot garden. We thought about it last year and decided to do it this year. Bart did 90% of the work, with some help from Cole and I. :) He built the boxes from scratch, mixed the different ingredients to make some awesome dirt, and then built cages for the three boxes. We have lots of animals...rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, deer... so we thought we better do something to protect our produce. We'll see if it works! So far we have planted a variety of spinach and lettuce, peas, beans, carrots, strawberries and several herbs. Everything is growing...the real test will be if we actually get to eat any of it!

The pictures got messed up, so it goes finish to start instead of the other way around, but I'm to lazy to fix it!

Very proud to finish the project!

Three built boxes

Building the boxes

First one completed

Cole loved hammering nails!

Our "before" picture

3 comments:

Annette said...

Every year we say we are going to do a garden. This year Ron cleared out a spot but that might be as far as we get! I've always wanted to try square foot gardening so I'll be excited to see how it goes.

Jeanne said...

I found your blog looking up Sq. Ft. Gardening in Idaho Falls. Hoping to find out more about it, but that is pretty impressive. I have never seen how the boxes were made, nor the cool cages to keep critters out. Hope it is okay I stopped by to look.

Seth Price said...

Wow! I'm pretty impressed. Didn't know Bart had it in him. :) Just kidding bro. Nice job!